Sunday, August 21, 2005

In Loving Memory…"Aaron"

In case no one notice I have run out of ideas to write ..ehheeh I found my old book where I use to write songs while cleaning the house on Saturday. Inside the book I found a picture of my cousin Aaron when he was a teenager.

Aaron and I were very close he was like a little brother to me. I use to look out for him when I was in secondary school. He looked up to me and he always came to me when he needed advise. Being in a family with very high ranking military officers wasn’t easy for him. They expected so much and he was pressured he couldn’t live up to their expectations. Aaron would hang out with me and his best friend Ron until the next morning talking about his dream, and the girl he loves who doesn’t even know he exist. He reached to a point of his life where he just gave up on everything he worked for and even tried to take his own life a few times but luckily he failed to do so. I was very firm with him and I told him that if he tries to do something stupid and doesn’t pull his act together I will do the honors and kill him myself.

Three days later he came over to my place so excited to see me that he drove his father’s car into my gate and dented the car pretty badly and breaking my gate. I felt like killing him at that time but he brought me really good news and I can’t help feeling happy for him. Aaron had decided to join the Royal Malaysian Navy and with his fathers recommendations and references he got in easily and had to leave immediately to Lumut,Perak for his training. I was so proud of him I told him that the next time he comes to see me, I wanted him to be in full uniform and he said “Yes Ma’am!”.

Aaron underwent training at the Royal Naval College, Lumut, Perak. After completing two years of training as a cadet and as a midshipman, he was commissioned Lieutenant Muda on the 22nd June 2004. Lt. Muda Aaron W. Stevenson TLDM had sailed to various countries such as Cambodia, Thailand and Indonesia as part of his training and tour of duty.

His parents were so proud of him and so was I. we all waited for him to come home for Christmas to congratulate him. He told everyone that he want to come home wearing his new Uniform. But sadly he past away on the 20th December 2004, 3 days before his 24th birthday on the 23rd December, the day he was suppose to come home for the holidays.. Aaron’s car broke down on the way back to the base after he had sent his girlfriend home. He was at the side of the road making a call back to the base to let them know that he was out of petrol and stranded on the highway when a lorry hit him. Aaron died instantly. The lorry driver claimed that he didn’t see Aaron’s because it was very dark and by the time he realized it was too late.

Aaron’s mother called my house the next day after identifying the body, she spoke to my mother and told her to break the news to me. I was driving home after therapy at 10pm when my mother called and asked me to come home immediately. I was shocked to hear what has happen it broke my heart. The body had arrived in KL around 8pm, my aunty came to take me to his house before I could go in Aarons two younger brothers came and gave me a big hug, I just burst into tears. I went in the house and saw him in the coffin in full uniform. His face badly bruised and stitched and I thought to my self “This is not how I wanted to see him come home”. His parents were very strong and they accepted the fact that their son was gone. I just couldn’t take it, I sat at the corner crying while the prayers were being conducted.

On the burial day, I was almost late to attending the funeral because of the traffic police and no space to park. Aaron’s mother *who is also relative/cousin* waited for me to come before they sealed the coffin. I manage to see him for the last time and said goodbye I wrote on the scarf a message "Your memory will live on... sleep in peace my brother" my hands were shivering and I had trouble trying to write that message but luckily I did.

The Royal Malaysian Navy gave Aaron a grand funeral, the ceremony was beautiful. All the Lumut base TLDM attended the funeral, everyone in their white uniform giving their last respects to an officer and a friend. Beloved Lt. Muda Aaron, was buried on the 22nd December 2004, he is deeply missed by his family and all who knew him.

Looking at his picture, really brought back a lot of memories. Aaron had so much to live for, he had a bright future. From what I remember he was so happy to finally find someone who loved him for who he was. I know how heart broken his girlfriend must be to find out about his death. My deepest sympathy is for her. I hope she moved on with her life and found someone who could give her all the love and comfort she needs. I know how difficult it is to loose someone you love.

Until my next entry… Adios.

4 Comments:

Blogger PK said...

oh dear!!

Well, in this case, all we haf is the memories wif our loved ones. We shud cherish it.

catcha soon...cheers!

Monday, 22 August, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

man...reading this one makes me fells mushy2 inside..damn..its hard being a mn ryte now..my tears..ops not yet..hee..but honestly..i'm deeply touched..i can imagime myself in ur shoes.. but i've felt it before..n i'm still feels his presence..its hard to get over it..but time is the best cure..ryte?......

Monday, 22 August, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

tragic but sadly that happend to the best ofus...look around us you will see the many froms of Aaron around...a bright spark, a light that beginning to shine and its robbed form us. Nothing in life will prepare you for it, nothing in life can replace it..

We all have and will go thru this. I had a gf die in an acccident, a fren who was a doctor dying of SARS in Singapore a dear fren of mine who had to work on her uncle on a table such if the test of life

partign words " i was sad i had no shoes til i met a man with no feet"

Monday, 22 August, 2005  
Blogger marie said...

awww thank you for he lovely comments guys... muah!

Monday, 22 August, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home